Here’s a summary of highlighted events for the upcoming weekend in The Hague and surrounds. Click on the links for more details. Please check the websites of the organisers for the most up to date information and any last minute changes. Have a great weekend!
Chamber Music Festival (Friday 21 – Sunday 23April)
During second edition of the Chamber Music Festival you can enjoy 50 short concerts in Haagse Hout neighborhood of The Hague. The festival is an initiative of the Koninklijk Conservatorium (KC), Diamanttheater and Stichting Kunstpost.. Their goal is to develop a broader audience for classical music and to provide a platform for the new generation of young professional musicians from the Royal Conservatory.
All concerts are free except the Radio West Concert.
During the three day festival as many as 170 classical music students from the KC play 50 short concerts in small ensembles in various locations in Haagse Hout. They will play works by famous composers such as Beethoven, Debussy, Mendelssohn, Mozart and Shostakovich. As well as perform pieces by lesser-known composers such as Bartók and Jean Cras.
BorderKitchen with Min-Jin Kym (Saturday 22 April)
VIOLIN VIRTUOSO MIN-JIN KYM VISITS BORDERKITCHEN
Acclaimed musician talks about her book Gone with Abdelkader Benali
The 35-year-old recently published the book Gone, about how her life collapsed after her rare 1696 Stradivarius was stolen. Gone will be published in Dutch by OverAmstel, under the name Verloren (Lost). Min Kym will be interviewed in English by author Abdelkader Benali.
At 7 years old Min Kym was a prodigy, the youngest ever pupil at the Purcell School of Music. At 11 she won her first international prize and two years later she made her international debut at Berliner Symphoniker. Her career soared. Then, in a train station café, her violin was stolen, a rare 1696 Stradivarius. In an instant her world collapsed. She descended into a terrifying limbo land, unable to play another note.
Festival Pal Mundo 2017 – Europe’s biggest Latin and Caribbean festival (Saturday 22 April)
On April 22 Pal Mundo will organise Europe’s biggest Latin and Caribbean festival for the fourth time.
Like at the other editions, your favourite Latin and Caribbean artist will preform in Ahoy Rotterdam to provide you with an unforgettable experience.
With three stages, visitors of Festival Pal Mundo will have more than enough options to enjoy salsa, bachata, reggaeton, merengue and many more exotic sounds. Also on the culinary level, Pal Mundo will offer a complete Latin and Caribbean experience.
This is the third of a special afternoon events for budding and published writers. This time the theme is Memoir and Biography writing: Can anyone write a memoir?
Five great speakers will talk during this event, which will be hosted by Val Poore.
All have a wonderful and wide range of experience to talk to you about writing a memoir or biography.
Chad Lawson @ Nieuwe Kerk (Friday 21st April)
- Dele Sosimi – Extremely danceable mix from ‘the professor of afrobeat’ (Friday 21 April)
Ongoing events & exhibitions:
- THE LIFE I LIVE AND THE INNER CITY OF THE HAGUE JOIN FORCES DURING KING’S DAY (26 April)
- Kingsday in the Reinkenstraat (27 April)
- Japanese garden in Clingendael Park (29 April-11 June)
- THE HAGUE CITY WALK (29 April)
- Emma Ruth Rundle @ Paard (Sunday 30th April)
- THE JOHN ADAMS INSTITUTE presents: Trump’s First 100 Days – With Thomas Frank, Will Englund and Greg Shapiro (1 May)
- Bevrijdings run 4 and 5 May 2017 (Thursday 4th May)
- Liberation Festival 2017 The Hague (5 May)
- Holland & Le Chat Noir – 25 years of Ed Wubbe (Tuesday 9th May)
- International Ocean Film Tour Vol. 4 (Tuesday 9th May)
- AATG Presents : Three plays, mixed over two nights (13 May)
- My Father Held a Gun (13 May)
- Evolving Gods, Men and Animals (14 May)
- AATG Presents : One night two plays (Tuesday 23rd May)
- Paul Weller @ Paard (Thursday 8th June)
- Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley @ Paard (Tuesday 13th June)
- 2017 Night at The Park (24 June)
- The Legends: Shiv-Hari Jugalbandi (duet) (25 June)
- North Sea Jazz Festival (7-8 July)
- Food truck Festival TREK (7-10 September)
- Live on the beach – Anouk (8 September)