Here’s a summary of highlighted events for the upcoming weekend in The Hague and surrounds. Click on the links for more details. Please check the websites of the organisers for the most up to date information and any last minute changes. Have a great weekend
Air Cooled Scheveningen (21 May)
More than 300 classic Volkswagen Beetles and vans can be seen on Sunday, 21 May on the Scheveningen boulevard during Air Cooled Scheveningen.
VW fans can enjoy perusing the range of Beetle models ever built during the free vintage car show from 10.00 to 17.00 hrs.
The Volkswagen Beetle, officially called the Volkswagen Type 1, is an economy car produced by the German auto maker Volkswagen from 1938 until 2003. With over 21 million manufactured in an air-cooled, rear-engined, rear-wheel drive configuration, the Beetle is the longest-running and most-manufactured car of a single design platform anywhere in the world.
There will be a public choice award for the Favourite Aircooled; you can turn in your voting form at the information stand. And don’t forget to buy lottery tickets for the raffle.
Children can go to town creating their own chalk art designs on the pavement.
This year’s theme of The Hague Architecture Day is ‘City of Unlimited Knowledge’. The Hague is rapidly changing from a civil servants city into a knowledge economy. Symbolizing this transition was the arrival of Leiden University’s new faculty right in the middle of the city.
The Central Information Point, available only on May 20, will therefore be located in the Wijnhaven building Leiden University, Campus The Hague, Turfmarkt 99. Some guided tours can be booked there and there will be continuous model-building workshop for children aged 4-12 and as well as 3D printing demonstrations.
During the day architectural free-guided tours by professional guides and architects will present information about the design and history of the various buildings.
THE GAMES WE PLAY is the Edge Ensemble’s latest project: five freshly commissioned works inspired by play and games. With a serious face, the ensemble expresses the diversity and profundity of play in the human experience.
The ensemble features five singular performers from diverse musical worlds: Brendan
Faegre (US) on drums/composition, Nora Mulder (NL) on piano, Christof May (DE) on bass clarinet, James Hewitt (UK) on amplified baroque violin, and Vasilis Stefanopoulos (GR) on bass.
Each of the five composers in this project explore the theme of games and play in a deeply personal manner.
The group is based in The Hague, yet each of the members come from a different country: USA, Germany, UK, Greece, and the Netherlands.
Join The British School of The Netherlands (BSN) for this Annual Bursary Fund event which will feature an array of local artists, crafters and local businesses selling hand made and artisan items including jewellery, paintings, ceramics, candles, sculpture, glass-making and home made jams and fresh cakes.
Alongside this, BSN will be holding their Car Boot Sale. There will be plenty of bargains – toys, books, household items, children’s clothes, bikes – as well as activities for children including a bouncy castle and face painting.
- Caetano Veloso @ Amsterdam’s Concertgebouw (19 May)
- Book launch: The Things We Said in Venice (20 May)
Ongoing events & exhibitions:
- AATG Presents : One night two plays ( 23 May)
- Estrella Acosta presents Mujeres de Luna – Women in Cuban Music (26 May)
- World premiere of a Passion for modern life: Cilice by Lewis Nielson with Damask Vocal Quartet and Oerknal! New Music Collective (27 May)
- International City Podium 2017 (30 May)
- Book talk and signing by YA author N.J. Simmonds ( 1 June)
- First World Cup Skateboarding in the Netherlands since 2007 (2 – 3 June)
- Skinny Puppy @ Paard ( 3 June)
- Paul Weller @ Paard (Thursday 8th June)
- Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley @ Paard (13 June)
- St Andrew’s Society Summer Ceilidh 2017 (17 June)
- FREE FINANCIAL AWARENESS SEMINAR IN THE HAGUE (21 June)
- 2017 Night at The Park (24 June)
- The Legends: Shiv-Hari Jugalbandi (duet) (25 June)
- North Sea Jazz Festival (7-8 July)
- TWENTY-FIRST DELFT CHAMBER MUSIC FESTIVAL PRESENTS THE THEME FOR REAL ( 27 July)
- Food truck Festival TREK (7-10 September)
- Live on the beach – Anouk (8 September)
- Chris Rock @ Ziggo Dome (8 October)