Here’s a summary of highlighted events for the upcoming bank holiday weekend in The Hague and surrounds. Click on the links for more details. Please check the websites of the organisers for the most up to date information and any last minute changes. Have a great weekend
World class beach volleyball tournament back in The Hague (15 – 18 June)
Two years after the successful Beach Volleyball World Cup, The Hague is once again the epicentre of beach volleyball. From 15 – 18 June, the FIVB World Tour is coming to the Zuiderpark Sport Campus.
With the combination of the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour and the FIVB Volleyball World League in one location, The Hague has a premiere. For the first time, the two tournaments will be played simultaneously.
The brand new Sport Campus Zuiderpark is the perfect place for this special combination. The beach volleyball players will play their matches on two indoor courts and in a temporary centre court with seating for 2,500 fans. The volleyball players can be seen in action in the sports campus’ brand new sports hall with a capacity of 3,500 seats.
It’s not just the best in beach volleyball that can be experienced at the sport campus. On Friday, Saturday and Sunday, World League Volleyball matches are also being played. The Dutch men’s volleyball team goes up against South Korea, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. The goal is a place in the Final Four of the prestigious World League.
Festival Classique 2017 (15 -26 June)
Festival Classique 2017 has planted its feet in the sand. From the 15 – 25 June, Scheveningen turns into one big classical music playground. With concerts in a number of special locations such as the Kurhaus, Holland Casino Scheveningen, Beelden aan Zee, Paviljoen de Witte en Kantine Visafslag.
This year for the first time a free concert at the Kurhaus will open the Festival Classique 2017 on Thursday 15June.
The festival attracted over 42,000 visitors in 2016. With its programming, they reach all age ranges, from young to old. The programming consists of a wide range of free and paid-to-visit shows, concerts and activities. In the open air and at special locations, they surprise the audience and challenge them to experience music in a different way. The festival offers a stage for professional musicians, music students and amateurs from the region of The Hague.
International Yoga Day (18 June)
Vlaggetjesdag Scheveningen (17th June)
The annual Vlaggetjesdag festival will take place in and around the Scheveningen Harbour on Saturday, 17 June. This festival is one of the biggest events of the year in The Hague and usually attracts some 200,000 visitors.
Vlaggetjesdag (“Flag Day”) has celebrated the arrival of the first herring (Hollandse Nieuwe) in the southern coastal towns of Vlaardingen and Scheveningen for years. Hundreds of thousands of people gather in Scheveningen for the festivities, and the fishing boats are decked out especially for the occasion.
Orchestras, bands, artists, artisans and old sailing luggers all contribute to the fun, which also includes miniature ships, sailing tours and sampling of all kinds of fish. And if visitors want a break from the action, they can always make a pit stop at one of the many outdoor cafes or go exploring the historical Scheveningen village. This year there will also be a Sea Salt Market in the First Harbour with a food court and lots of nautical products.
- ORIENTAL LANDSCAPES FESTIVAL (16 – 23 June)
- Bloomsday in The Hague (16 June)
- St Andrew’s Society Summer Ceilidh 2017 (17 June)
- ORANGE APPLE DAY, an open day in the Hof van Wouw (17 June)
- Beach Challenge in Kijkduin (17June)
- Table of Hope – Looking for the promised land (18 June)
- 100 Finnish Summers (18 June)
Ongoing events & exhibitions:
- FREE FINANCIAL AWARENESS SEMINAR IN THE HAGUE (21 June)
- THE JOHN ADAMS INSTITUTE presents: Martin Ford – The Rise of the Robots (21 June)
- Australian circus-cabaret LIMBO in Amsterdam this summer (22 June)
- JUNGLE BROTHERS @ Paard (22 June)
- Summertime! Great American Classics (24 June)
- 2017 Night at The Park (24 June)
- The Legends: Shiv-Hari Jugalbandi (duet) (25 June)
- Brexit meeting for British Nationals (27 June)
- Hackathon BorderSessions – Hackers of the world unite! (28 June)
- Exclusive Culinary Delight @ “Haagse Wereld Hapjes” festival (30 June & 1 July)
- Have a foamtastic time during the Bubble Run (1 July)
- Cecilia International Choir – a concert of English music (1 July)
- North Sea Jazz Festival (7-8 July)
- TheHagueOnLine International Golf Tournament 2017 (11 July)
- Delft Ceramica 2017 – International Ceramic Market (15 -16 July)
- TWENTY-FIRST DELFT CHAMBER MUSIC FESTIVAL PRESENTS THE THEME FOR REAL ( 27 July)
- Food truck Festival TREK (7-10 September)
- Live on the beach – Anouk (8 September)
- Chris Rock @ Ziggo Dome (8 October)