April 28, 2018 – June 10, 2018 all-day
Clingendael Park

The magnificent Japanese Garden is the crown jewel of Clingendael Park, with beautiful and rare trees and plants. The garden is extremely fragile. That is why the Japanese Garden is open only 8 weeks in the year.

Opening hours

Due to its fragility, the Japanese Garden can be visited only during a short period of the year. It is open a few weeks in the spring and in the autumn.

Given the garden’s fragility, it is not possible to visit it with strollers or baby carriages and electric mobility devices. The garden has only limited access to people in a wheelchair. A separate entrance is available for wheelchairs with a special shorter route through the garden. In addition it is also prohibited to enter the garden with dogs. If the garden has too many visitors, you may have to wait outside before you are allowed in. The fragility of the plants means there is a limit on the number of visitors allowed at a given time.


The Japanese Garden was created in the beginning of the 20th century by the former owner of the country estate of Clingendael, Marguérite M. Baroness van Brienen (1871-1939), also called Lady Daisy. Lady Daisy undertook several voyages by ship to Japan. She brought back to the Netherlands a number of lanterns, a water cask, sculptures, the little bridges and possibly the pavilion. It is the only Japanese Garden in the Netherlands from around 1910 and therefore has a high historical value. The municipality has managed the Clingendael estate since 1954. Staff of Haeghe Schoon en Groen from the municipality’s Haeghe Groep maintain the Japanese Garden.

Place of serenity and reflection

The garden has a unique and surprising atmosphere, partly thanks to the beautiful moss cover. The garden contains many stone lanterns in all shapes and sizes. It also has 2 water casks. One water cask has 4 images of Buddhas. The other water cask is in the shape of a lotus flower.

The beautiful pavilion offers a great vantage point to admire the garden. The pavilion had sliding doors until around 1940. These panels were put back in place in 2009 with the help of Japanese architects. Lady Daisy’s legacyis now a place of serenity and reflection for visitors to the Japanese Garden.

Read more: denhaag.nl