What: Sing-along coaching and performance of excerpts from G.F. Handel’s Messiah, for soloists, orchestra and choir. It is a one day event; participation in the choir is open to all who love to sing, both amateurs and professionals!
Who: Sergio Siminovich, Handel specialist: conductor
When: Saturday, March 14. 9:30 am – 5:30pm
Where: Church of St John and St Philip, Ary van der Spuyweg 1, 2585 HA Den Haag. Handicap access; parking in neighborhood is free on Saturday; close to Tram 1
Cost: €5 for chorus participants. Concert attendance is free, but an offering will be taken at the door.
Supplies: Bring your own vocal score of Messiah (Novello edition preferred) and pencil; bring your own lunch, but coffee, tea and treats will be provided. Dress for concert is not required. Music for instrumentalists will be provided by the conductor, but please bring your own music stand! Sergio will be in The Hague from Tuesday, March 10 and is prepared to work in advance with any instrumentalist who would like his instruction.
Schedule for the day:
9.30-10.00 Welcome, coffee and tea reception
10.00-12.45 Choir rehearsal
13.30-15.15 Tutti (Soloists, Choir and Orchestra) rehearsal
15.15-16.00 Coffee and tea break
Extra info: The performance will be at A415 pitch, therefore only historical instruments will be able to participate.
Please come with notes essentially learned, so the rehearsals can focus on musicianship, interpretation and ensemble work
Music: Please see attached page for list of movements to be rehearsed and performed.
Contact info: Church of St John and St Philip
Scratch Messiah: List of Movements
(all movement and page numbers are taken from the Watkins Shaw Novello edition)
1. p. 1 Sinfonia: Grave section only (orchestra only)
2. p.6 Ev’ry valley shall be exalted (Air: Tenor)
3. p. 19 Thus saith the Lord Recitative: Bass)
4. p. 55 For unto us a child is born (chorus)
5. p. 91 Behold the Lamb of God (chorus)
6. p. 94 He was despised: section A only (Air: Alto)
7. p. 106 All we like sheep have gone astray (chorus)
8. p. 123 Thy rebuke?-Behold, and see if there be any sorrow (Air: Tenor)
9. p. 149 How beautiful are the feet (Air: Soprano)
10. p. 181 I know that my redeemer liveth (Air: Soprano)
11. p. 186 Since by man came death (chorus)
12a. p. 21 Worthy is the Lamb: prima pars=to m 23?) (chorus)
12b. p. 171 Hallelujah (chorus)
[13. p.225 Amen (chorus) [maybe.]
NB. 26 January Sergio quote: “The ground plan may be changed on the spot if necessary.”
NB – The chorus movements are highlighted in bold for greater clarity.