With just two legs remaining in the Volvo Ocean Race the battle for the overall prize is tighter than ever, with three teams fighting for first place and a fourth crew still in with a shot at the podium.
After almost two days at sea in the penultimate stage of the 11-leg race – and with less than 1,000 miles remaining – just eight miles split the seven crews.
The teams left Cardiff on Sunday afternoon to start the Leg 10 sprint from Cardiff, Wales to Gothenburg, Sweden, Charles Caudrelier’s Dongfeng Race Team has the advantage, sitting in pole position. The Chinese-flagged team holds a one point lead over Xabi Fernández’s MAPFRE, who had been leading for the majority of the race.
And just two points further back is the hottest team in the race, the Dutch team Brunel.
To put in context how dominant team Brunel has been over the past three legs, they have scored 37 of the maximum 39 points available, compared to Dongfeng with 26 points and MAPFRE who have collected 20 points over that span.
As much as they are fighting for the prize, Team Brunel will also be need to keep one eye on their Dutch compatriots on team AkzoNobel, who could challenge for the podium with two strong results on the finishing legs.
Leg 10 is a 1,300-nautical mile sprint that takes the teams around the west coast of Ireland up to the northern tip of Scotland before heading east-southeast to Gothenburg, the home of Volvo.
The ETA into the finish in Gothenburg, Sweden is currently Thursday night.
Volvo Ocean Race Leg 10 Leaderboard at 13:00 UTC on Tuesday 12 June
1. MAPFRE – 971 nautical miles to the finish
2. team AkzoNobel – 0.5 nautical miles to leader
3. SHK / Scallywag – 2.4 nautical miles to leader
4. Dongfeng Race Team – 6.9 nautical miles to leader
5. Turn the Tide on Plastic – 7.4 nautical miles to leader
6. Vestas 11th Hour Racing – 8.0 nautical miles to leader
7. Team Brunel – 8.1 nautical miles to leader
Volvo Ocean Race Points Table after Leg 9
1. Dongfeng Race Team – 60 points
2. MAPFRE – 59 points
3. Team Brunel – 57 points
4. team AkzoNobel – 48 points
5. Vestas 11th Hour Racing – 36 points
6. SHK / Scallywag – 29 points
7. Turn the Tide on Plastic – 26 points