Here’s your weekly summary of What’s On
This is our top list of events, exhibitions, music, festivals and more to keep you entertained this weekend. We include events from The Hague, Leiden, Delft, Scheveningen and everywhere in between.
Below the four featured events, you can find other things happening this weekend, as well as ongoing exhibitions and festivals. You’ll also find all our upcoming listings with links so you can plan ahead. There are family-friendly suggestions too, making sure everyone can explore the area and its culture together. We hope you have a great time, no matter what you get up to.
Remember to check with each event organiser for ticket prices, entry requirements or last minute changes (just in case). Have a great weekend!
In 1880, while Mesdag was making sketches for his Panorama from the highest dune in Scheveningen, land surveyors were trekking across the entire country drawing up a map of the Netherlands. The painter and land surveyors alike sought out the highest points in the landscape: the first to create a spatial illusion and the latter to measure distances accurately. What similarities and differences were there in the approach of the artist and that of the surveyors?
The Hague Metal Fest (20 April)
After a very successful first edition, the Hague Metal festival is back. This year, the Great Hall of Paard will be renamed a real metal dome where the bands play brighter, heavier and harder than ever, headbanging is an absolute must and moshpits cannot be avoided. So there is a lot waiting for you. Enter at your own risk!
BonFire Beach Festival (19-20 April)
The sun shows itself more often, the temperature starts to rise slowly, and the whole of the Netherlands is preparing to travel en masse to the sea. Come to the coast of The Hague to kick off the beach season in spectacular fashion with us on Friday 19 and Saturday 20 April during BonFire Beach Fest!
Katvanger @ Café Rooie Cor (21 April)
Katvanger. They purport to be fine, upstanding, law-abiding citizens, but collectively, Katvanger offers up a suspect rendition of the blues, revealing undocumented encounters with disreputable elements from far-flung parts of the globe.
Fancy something else this weekend?
Ongoing events in the region
- NatGeo Photo Exhibition at Lange Voorhout (until 27 April)
- KoningsKermis: The King’s Fair! (until 28 April)
- Life of Mine: Exhibition on Explosive Remnants (until 30 April)
- Walking Tours of The Hague – Bronovo Edition (available various dates)
- ACCESS Ask The Experts Sessions in Utrecht (9 May then monthly)
- Keukenhof Spring Opening 2019: Flower Power! (until 18 May)
- Exhibition: The Art Nouveau Book Binding (until 23 June)
- HERE/NOW: Current Visions from Colombia (until 30 June)
- Yayoi Kusama @ Museum Voorlinden (until 1 September)
- Exhibition: Celebrating 50 Years of MOJO (until 1 September)
- From The Highest Point – Exhibition @ Panorama Mesdag (until 22 September)
Upcoming dates for your diary
- DISC Storytelling Event: Fairytales and Myths (27 April)
- Yom Hasjoa Memorial and Remembrance @ Kloosterkerk (28 April)
- Liberation Day Festival The Hague (5 May)
- IFC Wassenaar Trials (5 and 12 May)
- Theosophy Talks 2018-2019 (12 May)
- Dutch Beer Week (16-26 May)
- JOY Asian Street Food Festival (17-19 May)
- Ride for Rights – Sponsored Cycle (18 May)
- Cycle Paris: Ride with a Mission (23-27 May)
- TAIKA: Life Full of Song Summer Concert (26 May)
- Project Landing – Discover South Holland (26 May, 16 and 29 June)
- Welcome to The Hague with the International Centre (6 June, 12 Sep, 29 Nov)
- Boekids Literature Festival 2019 (9-10 June)
- Open Ateliers Duinoord (15-16 June)
- 2019 KLM Den Haag Urban Trail (7 July)
- North Sea Jazz 2019 (12 July)
- P!nk Comes to The Hague (11 August)
- Live on the Beach feat. KEANE (7 September)