Here’s your weekly summary of What’s On
This is our top list of events, exhibitions, music, festivals and more to keep you entertained this weekend. We include events from The Hague, Leiden, Delft, Scheveningen and everywhere in between.
Below the four featured events, you can find other things happening this weekend, as well as ongoing exhibitions and festivals. You’ll also find all our upcoming listings with links so you can plan ahead. There are family-friendly suggestions too, making sure everyone can explore the area and its culture together. We hope you have a great time, no matter what you get up to.
Remember to check with each event organiser for ticket prices, entry requirements or last minute changes (just in case). Have a great weekend!
Charlie Chaplin is the king of the silent film era. The Residentie Orkest is screening one of his best-known classics, with live music composed by the man himself. In 1925’s ‘The Gold Rush’, Chaplin journeys to Alaska to look for gold and also does his best to win over the beautiful Georgia.
Visual designer Rob Thuis takes hundreds of photos in a specific area or space. He processes the photos, colors them and puts them in order. He provides them with music and a special transition, creating an animated film, a cinematic walk. A walk not only through the area, but especially in the mind of the spectator.
Japanese Garden Open Days (until 10 June)
The Japanese Garden is the showpiece of the Clingendael estate. Here you can see beautiful and rare trees and plants. The garden is very fragile. That is why the Japanese Garden is only open 8 weeks a year. The garden is open again in the spring of 2019, from 27 April to 10 June.
The Hague Cocktail Week 2019 (11-19 May)
The premium bar and cocktail scene in the city has exploded over the past 18 months with the likes of The Five Points, Syndicaat and The Court, joining the established venues of VaVoom!, Spark and De Snoeshaen. From tiki style beach bars to hidden speakeasies, the city now offers an extensive and confident range of venues that are snapping at the heels of those in neighbouring Amsterdam and Rotterdam.
Fancy something else this weekend?
Ongoing events in the region
- Walking Tours of The Hague – Bronovo Edition (available various dates)
- Exhibition: The Art Nouveau Book Binding (until 23 June)
- HERE/NOW: Current Visions from Colombia (until 30 June)
- Yayoi Kusama @ Museum Voorlinden (until 1 September)
- Exhibition: Celebrating 50 Years of MOJO (until 1 September)
- From The Highest Point – Exhibition @ Panorama Mesdag (until 22 September)
Upcoming dates for your diary
- John Adams Institute presents: Blockchain: The Next Everything (13 May)
- BSN & Zein present: Small Steps to Independence (14 May)
- Michael Jackson Tribute (15 May)
- LinkedIn Local – The Hague (16 May)
- Dutch Beer Week (16-26 May)
- JOY Asian Street Food Festival (17-19 May)
- Museumnight Leiden (18 May)
- ’16 Minutes’ by Matteo Pasquini (18 May)
- Eurovision Song Contest Party with The Hague International Network (18 May)
- Ride for Rights – Sponsored Cycle (18 May)
- Art Nouveau and Art Deco City Tours (19 May)
- Apollo 11 @ Omniversum (21 May – 9 June)
- Cycle Paris: Ride with a Mission (23-27 May)
- Urban Bugs: An Exhibition (24 May – 17 August)
- Hoogtij #57 – The Cultural Tour in The Hague (24 May)
- I Know a Man who Knew a World Without Plastic (25 May)
- Amsterdam Pizza Festival (25-26 May)
- TAIKA: Life Full of Song Summer Concert (26 May)
- Project Landing – Discover South Holland (26 May, 16 and 29 June)
- The John Adam Institute presents: Barry Eichengreen (27 May)
- Welcome to The Hague with the International Centre (6 June, 12 Sep, 29 Nov)
- Boekids Literature Festival 2019 (9-10 June)
- ACCESS Ask The Experts Sessions in Utrecht (13 June, monthly)
- Festival Classique (13-23 June)
- Orange Apple Day (15 June)
- Open Ateliers Duinoord (15-16 June)
- Fathers’ Day Boat Tours (16 June)
- Sail op Scheveningen (20-23 June)
- 2019 KLM Den Haag Urban Trail (7 July)
- North Sea Jazz 2019 (12 July)
- P!nk Comes to The Hague (11 August)
- Open Air Theatre: The Tempest and Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (28 August – 1 September)
- Live on the Beach feat. KEANE (7 September)